- About Us
- Historical Association
- Historical Markers
- Historical Markers A through N
Historical Markers A through N
Addis Museum “Bank of Addis”
Chartered in 1919, the Bank of Addis was constructed the following year on land purchased from William Gassie, Jr., one of the original bank shareholders.
Learn more about the Allendale Plantation, home of the second Louisiana Confederate governor, Henry Watkins Allen.
Antioch Missionary Baptist Church
Find out the history about the Antioch Missionary Baptist Church.
A typical raised Creole Cottage, Antonia Plantation was an early 1800s working sugar plantation.
The Back Brusly Oak
This marker honors the Town’s symbol – the Back Brusly Oak. The oak tree, more than 350 years old in 2002, was enrolled in the Live Oak Society in 1969 through the efforts of Mrs. Ethel Claiborne “Puffy” Dameron, founder of the West Baton Rouge Historical Association.
Brusly High School
The old high school, located at the site of the current middle school along River Road, was opened in 1911. It was a two-story wooden building that served the area under the then-new parish School Board before being torn down in 1950.
The West Baton Rouge (WBR) Historical Association designated special funds to recognize the oldest settlement in our parish.
Calumet Plantation was named for the traditional Indian peace pipe. The plantation began with the purchase of a tract of land on June 7, 1875, by Douglas Cullum Montan and his sister, Mrs. William P. (Mary Lelia) Harper.
Charles P. Adams
Read about Charles P. Adams, Brusly native and Tuskegee Institute graduate.
Gear from Cinclare Mill
This gear came from West Baton Rouge Parish's last remaining sugar mill, Cinclare, located near Brusly. The property was once called Marengo Plantation.
Gulf Intracoastal Waterway
The Port Allen Lock connects the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway and the Gulf of Mexico to the Port of Greater Baton Rouge and other points north along the Mississippi River, shortening the distance for boat traffic about 120 miles.
Herbert Osborn Dickerson
Herbert O. Dickerson, son of Osborne and Mary Dickerson, was born at their home on Paul Lane near Brusly, Louisiana, and raised in that area throughout his life except for his time of military service
Historic Cinclare Plantation
Cinclare Plantation is located north of the town of Brusly. Once a thriving “company town”, Cinclare is currently the last remaining producing sugar mill in West Baton Rouge Parish.
Historic Lukeville School
After an attempt failed to place the school on the National Register of Historic Places, Principal Thomas found the funds to purchase the marker and honor Reverend Luke Billups for his establishment of this school in 1887.
Israelite Missionary Baptist Church
This institution of worship can trace its roots to the 1890s, but it was formally chartered in 1905. The congregation was established as Israelite Baptist Church of Brusly Landing.
James “Slim Harpo” Moore
Blues artist Slim Harpo was born James Moore in Lobdell, LA in February 1924. He worked as a longshoreman and construction worker during the late 1930s and early 1940s. He began performing in Baton Rouge bars as Harmonica Slim Harpo began his recording career in 1957 with his debut hit single I’m a King Bee.
For the amazing price of $15 million, President Thomas Jefferson overcame his initial apprehension about the Constitutional limits placed on the executive branch of government, authorizing his emissaries to purchase the entire Louisiana Territory from France.
The Mississippi River is one of the longest rivers in North America, flowing 2,340 miles from Lake Itasca, Minn., to the Gulf of Mexico below New Orleans.
Mississippi River Old Ferry Landing
Former Port Allen Mayor, Lynn Robertson, worked for many years with a multitude of folks to bring the Port Allen levee top improvements to reality. The Mayor was approached in 2003 to provide a historic marker to share the history of this important site with residents and visitors.
On Sunday, December 12th, Morrisonville residents and guests united to dedicate the new State Historic Marker honoring the Community of Morrisonville. Over 100 folks were on hand in the beautiful weather as Reverend Lawrence Philson of the Nazarene Baptist Church opened the ceremony with the invocation.
New Brusly Town Hall Memorial
It was the first structure erected specifically for town administration and served that purpose through 1999.